Monday, May 28, 2012

My DIY Makeup Vanity


WARNING! PLEASE EMAIL ALL QUESTIONS, COMMENTS AND PHOTOS OF YOUR CREATION TO ME at laurenvarga4@gmail.com. I have had a hard time replying back to people any other way. Thanks :)

 




I have a lot of make up from over the years. I wanted to make sure it was accessible, clear where everything is and not sore on the eyes. This desk is actually a shelf that I put legs on! It's from Ikea and it's the Ekby Gruvan shelf. It was 39.99 and it is 47 inches long. It's very narrow so it's great for a small space. After I screwed on 4 Vika Adils legs. They were 3.50$ each. The chair is from Ikea from the Stefan line and it was 19.99.







This is the Musik vanity wall lamp from Ikea. It was 14.99. Though there are lots of unexpected prices that come with them. The light bulbs I got at Ace Hardware and they are by Reveal. They are typical vanity lights, 40w but they have almost a blue tint when they are off. This helps for makeup application because it doesn't have that yellow glare that most light bulbs can produce. They were 4.99 for a two pack, so $15 total. The mirror was from Target for $30.




Now this lamp didn't come with a cord so I had to twist the cords with those of an electrical outlet cable pack (8.99 for a 8 foot from Home Depot) in order for it to get juice. After twisting them you apply wire nut connectors. (They look like little cones.) This is needed for the wires to stay together. 




These are the Bekvam spice racks from Ikea 3.99 each. They work great for taller things that need to stand up light foundations (top rack). On the bottom tack I have my nail polishes and some oils on the right. The racks are wood and very easy to assemble. I painted them this red orange color with paint that I made. After being disappointed with a color I purchased, I combined three different acrylic paints to get the desired brightness. I recommend using a semi gloss finish. 





These are from Homegoods. They were all on clearance for under $8. They are actually bathroom tumblers, aka fancy toothbrush holders. The flower is from Ikea .99 cents w/ a .79 cent vase.




This makeup divider (left) was actually made for jewelry. My mom got it for me years ago from TJ Max. The clear one (right) was 3.99 from Target. It's a little large for this narrow shelf but you can barely tell because its clear. 





This vanity mirror is from Target. Its from Conair and was 24.99. It was a complete waste of money. Don't buy it. You can barely tilt the mirror up to get a different angle. I have one back in California that my mom got from Costco that was way nicer but needed one for here so I went cheap.








These blue boxes were 6.99 for a pack of two from ikea. The small 5 drawer thing was 6.99 from Target. Now the clearish drawers below were difficult to spend the money on but they are perfect for under this shelf/desk. Since the desk is very narrow, most drawer units are too larger and would stick out past the table. These are even more narrow than the shelf... and best of all, you can pick out the size drawers that work best for you! They are called the Kupol pull out storage unit. You can change up the sizes of each one. The large one was 14.99 at the bottom, the 2nd level ones were 8.99 each, The top left two were 6.99 for a two pack and 6.99 for the larger top right drawer. This added up but it was worth it since I couldn't find anything narrow enough to go below it.




If you have any questions email me at Laurenvarga4@gmail.com! 

26 comments:

  1. I love this post. Im doing the same thing right now. my dad and I are building a desk to look like a vanity for my makeup. I'm so excited for it to be done. please follow me

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this!! it would work pretty well in my skin care studio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!!! Can't wait to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see you make a video or something showing what goes in everything...like a what's in my make up collection type video. I'd love to see what you used all the bigger boxes for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I have been trying to figure out a way to make an affordable vanity so I can store my make up and have a well lit place to do my make up. I just started a beauty blog and I wanted to do tutorials. Congrats on the MAC job too! That's exciting! Looking forward to more posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I love Ikea and I need a vanity in a small space really badly, this looks perfect. I especially love the painted spice racks, I could use about ten of those for my nail polish collection! I'm looking forward to more posts!

    xomando

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Love it! Check out my vanity at yummybeautyinc@blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice organization but seriously? You actually wear all that makeup? Oy... looks a bit overkill to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! I went to the Ikea yesterday (the one in Portland) based on some of the things you got here. It was very successful, found lots of stuff that looks great on my desk, thanks for the post!

    Where did you find the glass to put on your desk? I'm looking for some. And, I also live in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The IKEA shelf does not seem to be available at the online store and we do not have a store nearby. Suggestions or links to similar products would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...the shelf is being discontinued in the 47 inch.

      Delete
  11. super cute! I also plan on making a vanity , hopefully as nice as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And the shelf is online... Found it earlier @Contestr :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luv,Luv,Luv this...will be going to Ikea this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! How did you screw the legs to the shelf, I bought exactly the same one and I'm having trouble doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is the brand of the vanity mirror you liked so much and bought from Costco? I was hoping to buy it online since I don't have a membership there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. how did you sent up the lights? I am having a hard time with the wiring! Did you have a hole in the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your post where did you get the vanity?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading this piece! Well written! :)

    Prety
    cheap skincare
    cheap make up

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute set up! Nice post!

    http://www.PrettyPRChick.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. glass mosaic
    -:we are happy to read your post , its a very nice and more informative...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your use of the spice racks! I think it would be nice of you to mention the original creator:

    http://mstapioca.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/diy-ikea-makeup-vanity/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christmas is coming early to wish you a Merry Christmas, best Christmas gift to see here
    http://lv.lllbag.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Your Vanity Pic Tour. So Inspired By It. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete